Asparagus Sformati with Lakin’s Gorges Morgan & Ricotta
These are very light and are good served hot or cold. This is a very quick recipe to prepare, but produces spectacular results.
Featured in Down East Magazine, April 2017.
Asparagus (or fiddlehead fern) sformati” – Italian savory souffles
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 pounds asparagus (or cleaned fiddlehead ferns)
2 Tbls butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup coarsely grated Lakin’s Gorges Morgan
3/4 cup Lakin’ s Gorges Basket Ricotta
1/4 cup flour
1. Butter and crumb 12 ramekins or muffin tins. But may only yield
2.Cook asparagus (or ferns) in boiling water for about 3 minutes, until tender. Drain liquid, reserving 1 cup for step 6.
3. Coarsely chop stalks (or fiddlehead ferns), reserving the tips for the tops of the finished product.
4. Saute onions until tender.
5. Puree onions and asparagus (or ferns).
6. In a large bowl, combine pureed vegetables with Basket Ricotta, Morgan and flour. Season to taste. If mixture is not smooth, incorporate cooking liquid by Tablespoon until smooth.
7. Whisk eggs thoroughly, add combined ingredients from step 6.
8. Fill ramekins, or muffin tins, with 1/2 cup of mixture. Top with asparagus tips (or small intact ferns).
9. Bake until set in a 350 degree oven, about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted.
NOTE: if you have a food processor, add ingredients in order and process between every addition and no cooking liquid will be required.