Asparagus Sformati with Lakin's Gorges Morgan & Ricotta
These are very light and are good served hot or cold. This is a very quick recipe to prepare, but produces spectacular results.
Servings: 12 people
Featured in Down East Magazine, April 2017. Asparagus (or fiddlehead fern) sformati" - Italian savory souffles
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds asparagus (or cleaned fiddlehead ferns)
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated Lakin's Gorges Morgan
- 3/4 cup Lakin' s Gorges Basket Ricotta
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- Butter and crumb 12 ramekins or muffin tins. But may only yield
- Cook asparagus (or ferns) in boiling water for about 3 minutes, until tender. Drain liquid, reserving 1 cup for step 6.
- Coarsely chop stalks (or fiddlehead ferns), reserving the tips for the tops of the finished product.
- Saute onions until tender.
- Puree onions and asparagus (or ferns).
- In a large bowl, combine pureed vegetables with Basket Ricotta, Morgan and flour. Season to taste. If mixture is not smooth, incorporate cooking liquid by Tablespoon until smooth.
- Whisk eggs thoroughly, add combined ingredients from step 6.
- Fill ramekins, or muffin tins, with 1/2 cup of mixture. Top with asparagus tips (or small intact ferns).
- Bake until set in a 350 degree oven, about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted.