Rustic Apple Galette with Lakin’s Gorges Opus 42
This is simple and delicious, and the cheese baked inside the pastry enhances the apples.
6 Tbl butter
1.5 cups flour (I used spelt)
4 Tbl water (or more if it’s dry. You want to bind the dough together, but not have it be wet)
2 Tbl sugar
1. Cut butter into flour until grains the size peas. Add sugar and water and mix until smooth dough forms.
2. Roll out to 12″
I used foraged apples that were sightly tart. Whatever apple you choose, pick a drier one, or the moisture will make the pastry mushy.
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. Slice 2 cups apples thinly.
3. Finely grate Lakin’s Gorges Opus 42 to yield 1/4 cup.
4. Place dough on pan. Sprinkle the Opus 42 in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches dough around the border.
5. Layer the apples in as artistic a method you choose, covering the cheese.
6. Fold the dough edge up over the apples, leaving the center open.
7. Bake about 35 minutes, until the apples are softened and the dough is lightly browned.